B. GABRIEL (GABE) SYLVIA JR. – SENIOR PASTOR
Gabe was born in the 60’s (remember them?) and spent most of his growing up years in the St. Louis, MO area. Gabe is married to a very beautiful and gracious, Kimberly Anne and has been for 25 years. They have four children at home: Luke, Noelle, Liberty and Abigail and a married daughter, Kelsey and a cool son-in-law, Jonah.
He is a graduate of the United States Military Academy (B.S.), Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (M.Div.) and (hopefully soon) Reformed Theological Seminary (D. Min.). He came to faith in Christ at West Point (1989) and, after serving in the active duty Army, God called him to ministry in 1994. After graduating from TEDS with the Masters in Divinity, he accepted a call to plant a church in Stafford, VA. He then moved to Orangeburg, SC to work in manufacturing management for a time and then as a youth and family pastor at Trinity church (PCA). In 2007, he accepted a call to be the pastor for young families and singles at Christ Covenant Church (PCA) in Matthews NC. Gabe served there until coming to Christ Our Hope in February, 2017.
Gabe has served in three PCA Presbyteries in various capacities from member of the Candidates and Credentials committee (Palmetto), to the chairman of the Shepherding Committee (Central Carolina) as well as Examinations (Central Carolina). He also was adjunct professor of Christian Counseling at the Reformed Theological Seminary (Charlotte).
He loves to write and has written the following studies for the church:
- Worship Guide for Family and Personal Devotions
- “What Makes a Man?” A study in biblical manhood.
- “More than a Wedding” Pre- and – marital curriculum
- “Biblical Laments” a biblical study on Lamentations
- “Understanding and Applying the Scriptures”
- Children’s Worship Training curriculum
- Biblical Counseling Framework
- Bible studies: Exodus, Judges, Lamentations, NT Survey, Galatians, James, 1 John, Revelation, “Devotion and Doctrine” (Apostles’ Creed and prayer), the Prayers of Paul in the New Testament
- Book study guides: Gospel Powered Parenting (W. Farley), Don’t Waste Your Life (J. Piper), Instruments in the Redeemer’s Hands (P. Tripp), Relationships: A Mess Worth Making (T. Lane), Respectable Sins (J. Bridges), Shepherding a Child’s Heart (T. Tripp)
Although Gabe really likes ALL of the Bible, he is particularly drawn to these verses:
He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? (Romans 8:32)
And he died for all therefore all have died; and he died for all that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. (2 Corinthians 5:15)